Basil the Great’s condemnation of sodomy? Or Peter Damian? Or Fructuosus?

Roger Pearse | 7/25/2018 | Staff
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.roger-pearse.com/weblog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/cropped-4219138-blue-sky-blue-water-Copy.jpg

In a tweet by Matthew Schmitz on Twitter I came across a striking quotation, attributed to Basil of Ancyra / Basil the Great. Enquiry quickly showed that in fact it came from a work by medieval writer Peter Damian, complete with attribution to Basil.

The publication I found was Peter Damian, Book of Gomorrah: An eleventh-century treatise against clerical homosexual practices, tr. Peter J. Payer, Wilfred Laurier University Press, 1982, p.60-61. This reads:

Care - Testimonies - Council - Basil - Great

However, since we have taken care to use two testimonies from one sacred council, let us also insert what Basil the Great thinks of the vice under discussion so that “on the testimony of two or three witnesses every word shall be established.” He says:

67. The text is from Regula Fructuosi, ch. 16 (PL 87, 1107A). English translation, C. W. Barlow, “Rule for the Monastery of Compludo”, in The Fathers of the Church, 63 (Washington, DC, 1969), 169.

Fathers - Church - Volume - Fact - Fathers

The Fathers of the Church volume is in fact entitled Iberian fathers: volume 2 : Braulio of Saragossa, Fructuosus of Braga / translated by Claude W. Barlow, 1969. Sadly I have not been able to find a copy of this.

So the passage attributed to St Basil in fact...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Roger Pearse
Wake Up To Breaking News!