The Lingerie Addict blogger Cora Harrington explains 'thin privilege'

Mail Online | 7/24/2018 | Carly Stern For Dailymail.com
kims (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/24/17/4E8A771700000578-0-image-a-35_1532448973912.jpg

A blogger has sparked furious debate after posting a Twitter thread in which she explains the concept of 'thin privilege'.

Cora Harrington, who founded The Lingerie Addict, went viral this week after writing about her 'thin privilege' on social media.

Privilege - Life - Discrimination - People - Size

The 34-year-old said that thin privilege is what allows her to go through life without the discrimination that overweight people face, liking being unable to find their size in clothing stores, being denied raises due to prejudice against them, and being able to do something as simple as eating a cookie in public without receiving dirty looks.

She started off the thread on July 22 by explaining that one doesn't need to 'feel' thin to have thin privilege. A man or woman may still feel insecure about his or her body, while still being 'normal'-sized by societal standards.

Privilege - 'Thinness - Feeling - People - Clothing

'Hey, you don’t have to “feel thin” to have thin privilege,' she wrote. 'Thinness isn’t a feeling. If other people perceive you as thin, you are thin. If you are able to walk into any clothing store and expect to see a wide range of options in your size, you are thin.

'My job involves looking at photos of models who are much thinner than me, so I rarely “feel” thin,' she went on. 'But I can walk into almost any clothing store and expect - without even thinking about it — to buy something in my size. That is thin privilege.'

Clothing - Cora - Indignities - People

It's not just about being able to find clothing easily, though. Cora went on to list some other indignities that overweight people face.

'No one looks at a photo of me online and tells me I need to lose weight or sees me out and about eating a cookie or an ice cream cone and sneers at me in disgust,' she tweeted.

Groans

'No one groans...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!