Cardinal Farrell: I had no knowledge of allegations against McCarrick

CatholicHerald.co.uk | 7/24/2018 | Cindy Wooden
bethtetleybethtetley (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/content/uploads/2018/07/20180724T0827-18817-CNS-MCCARRICK-FARRELL.jpg

Cardinal Kevin Farrell, head of the Vatican office for laity and family, said he was “shocked” when he heard allegations of years of sexual abuse and harassment by Cardinal Theodore McCarrick, the man who ordained him a bishop and whom he served as an auxiliary bishop for six years.

“I was shocked, overwhelmed; I never heard any of this before in the six years I was there with him,” Cardinal Farrell told Catholic News Service.

Irish-born - Cardinal - Archdiocese - Washington - Cardinal

The Irish-born cardinal was incardinated in the Archdiocese of Washington in 1984, and shortly after Cardinal McCarrick was named archbishop of Washington in 2000, the future Cardinal Farrell was named his vicar general.

Cardinal Farrell said he had never met Cardinal McCarrick until he became his archbishop.

June - Cardinal - McCarrick - Archbishop - Washington

In late June, Cardinal McCarrick, the 88-year-old retired archbishop of Washington, said he would no longer exercise any public ministry “in obedience” to the Vatican after an allegation he abused a teenager 47 years ago in the Archdiocese of New York was found credible. The cardinal has said he is innocent.

The Archdiocese of Washington said Cardinal Pietro Parolin, Vatican secretary of state, “at the direction...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CatholicHerald.co.uk
Wake Up To Breaking News!