Transgender woman: A CVS pharmacist in Fountain Hills denied my hormone prescription

azcentral | 7/20/2018 | Grace Palmieri
rach-rach (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/03e10f2abf2315b6ee2c0f9305e723ddb26d14d0/c=0-827-2646-2322/local/-/media/2018/07/20/Phoenix/Phoenix/636676480004632022-hilde.jpg?width=3200&height=1680&fit=crop

A transgender woman in Arizona is speaking out after she says a CVS pharmacist denied her hormone prescription.

The pharmacist questioned her loudly in front of other customers and rejected her and her doctor's requests to transfer the prescription to another location, Hilde Hall said in a blog post published on the ACLU of Arizona's website Thursday.

News - Encounter - Weeks - Woman - Nicole

News of the encounter comes weeks after another woman, Nicole Arteaga, was denied her miscarriage medication at a Walgreens pharmacy in Peoria.

Arizona is one of six states that allows pharmacies and pharmacists to refuse to fill a prescription on religious or moral grounds. The pharmacy isn't required to transfer refused prescriptions, but companies may make workplace polices that require referrals.

Hall - Prescription - Round - Hormone - Therapy

Hall said the prescription marked her first round of hormone therapy.

"I left my doctor's office elated," she wrote. "I was finally going to start seeing my body reflect my gender identity and the woman I've always known myself to be."

Hall - Prescriptions - April - Doctor - Hormone

Hall had received three prescriptions on April 24 from her doctor, who specializes in hormone therapy, she said.

But when she gave them to the pharmacist at a CVS in Fountain Hills, he denied her the medication and didn't give a reason, according to the post.

Front - CVS - Staff - Customers - Prescriptions

"He just kept asking, loudly and in front of other CVS staff and customers, why I was given the prescriptions," Hall wrote. "… I felt like the pharmacist was trying to out me as transgender in front of strangers."

In her post, Hall says the pharmacist would not give her back the prescription note, so she was unable to take it to another pharmacy to be filled.

Store - Feeling - Hall

"I left the store feeling mortified," Hall wrote.

After she called her doctor's office to explain what happened and the office staff contacted the pharmacist, he continued to refuse to fill the prescription or explain why, she said.

The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: azcentral
Wake Up To Breaking News!