‘Killing Eve’ Creator Phoebe Waller-Bridge on Season 2 and What Makes the Series So Relatable to Women

IndieWire | 7/18/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ke_108_rv_161117_0143.jpg?w=780

Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s first season finale to “Killing Eve,” BBC America’s Emmy-nominated thriller, is a gripping, confounding, and altogether spellbinding script. Satisfying yet far from final, the episode — especially in its climactic moments — explores the unconventional relationship between cop and killer; a bond that’s been evident since the start, yet impossible to define.

And that inscrutability, it turns out, was the trick to Waller-Bridge writing it.

Waller-Bridge - IndieWire - Allure - MI-6 - Officer

“I don’t think they could articulate it,” Waller-Bridge told IndieWire when asked about the allure between MI-6 officer Eve Polastri (Sandra Oh) and serial assassin Villanelle (Jodie Comer). “When I realized I couldn’t articulate it, but I could feel it as a writer, that allowed me to give them the same dilemma; that they would never be able to explain to anyone else in the world what it is about the other.”

But Waller-Bridge knew she had to take the relationship to a new level at the end of Season 1; to further define the indefinable. What she didn’t know was how to do that until “really, really late” in the writing process — “really, scarily, scarily, late,” she said.

Trick - Exhaustion

The trick? Exhaustion.

“It’s when Eve says, ‘God, I’m tired,’ and she lies back on the bed. That for me was the way in to the scene,” Waller-Bridge said. “The idea that these two women — in spite of all of this kind crazy whirlwind of action, violence, guns, gameplay, all that kind of stuff — there is just a moment when you can just go, ‘Can we just have 10 seconds? Because I’m just so exhausted.'”

Waller-Bridge - Characters - Heads - Moment - People

Waller-Bridge tapped into that feeling while trying to get into her characters’ heads, and she feels it’s a human moment for two people who’ve been going above and beyond for quite some time.

“I feel like that’s relatable to everybody, but I think...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Have you forgotten?