Lovely, drippy, syrupy TLM and vocation video. Then Fr. Z rants about crying.

wdtprs.com | 7/18/2018 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
marked (Posted by) Level 4

Pope Francis said something along the lines that certain realities can be seen only through eyes that have been cleansed by tears.

At the Italian site Messa in Latino, I saw a little video, beautifully produced, focused very much on the affective dimension of the experience of Holy Mass in the traditional form of the Roman Rite.

Some may be tempted to say that it is “sentimental”.

A thoughtful person, however, would reflect that the affective compliments the intellective.

Nothing - Sentiment

There’s nothing wrong with some “sentiment”.

There’s also nothing wrong with our older, traditional prayers dripping with what today we might regard as “flowery” or “syrupy” language. There’s nothing wrong with “flowery” language in prayers. We don’t have to be terse and jejune all the time. That’s not how we are made.

Note - Thing - Thing - Tradition - Gift

On that note, you should know that there was and is in thing Catholic thing of ours a tradition of praying for the gift, the grace, of tears. In the Missale Romanum there are prayers for the gift of tears.

What comes first? Understanding and then belief? Belief and then understanding? Nisi credideritis non intelligetis… You will not understand unless you first will have believed.

Tears - Understanding

What comes first? The tears and then the understanding?

Why do we bother to pray the Sorrowful Mysteries?

Pope - Francis - Gift - Tears - Priests

Again, Pope Francis once talked about the gift of tears to the priests of Rome in 2014.

Tell me: Do you weep? Or have we lost our tears? I remember that in the old Missals, those of another age, there is a most beautiful prayer to ask the gift of tears. The prayer began like this: “Lord, who commanded Moses to strike the rock so that water might gush forth, strike the stone of my heart so that tears…”: the prayer went more or less like this. It was very beautiful. But, how many of us weep...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!