The Prayer Coin

(in)courage | 7/18/2018 | Staff
hi09 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.incourage.me/wp/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/07182018_ElisaMorgan_TakeThisCup-1200x858.jpg

One Thursday afternoon, I headed out to Australia for a ministry trip, flying first to LA and then waiting some five hours during a delay. To bide the time, I chatted it up with my husband, Evan, back in Denver. He was to have accompanied me but surgery on his ankle a month prior made the long flight unwise for him. Reluctantly, I boarded the flight to Melbourne, landing some sixteen hours later to find a few messages from Evan on my phone — Call me, and I’ll give you an update on my leg.

I pulled my two-week sized rollaboard to the side of the arrivals hallway and dialed Evan. He answered, “I’ve had a little problem with my leg. I’m in the ICU.”

What?!

He was fine when I left Denver and when I left LA, but in the 20 or so hours I’d been gone, he’d spiked a raging 103 degree fever and I was a million miles away with ministry on my plate!

Hours - Garden - Night - Cross - Jesus

In the intense hours in a garden the night before He went to die on a cross, Jesus prayed, “Take this cup, yet not my will but yours be done” (Luke 22:42 NIV). Two specific prayers: first, Take this cup. Then, Not my will. A duality powerfully displayed in three of the gospel accounts and mentioned in the fourth. Two sides of Jesus. Two sides of us. Two sides of prayer.

This is the Prayer Coin.

Jesus - Cup - Side - Prayer - Desire

When Jesus says, Take this cup, that’s the honest side of the prayer. He reveals His own desire: “This is what I want.”

Then He flips the coin, praying, Not my will — that’s the side of abandon. Abandon is saying to God, “What do you want, God?”

Sides - Honest - Abandon - Word - Edge

In between the two sides of honest and abandon is the word yet which forms the edge...
(Excerpt) Read more at: (in)courage
Wake Up To Breaking News!
How's that peak oil working out for you?
Tagged: