Obama: 'I'm actually surprised by how much money I got'

Mail Online | 1/29/2017 | Hannah Parry For Dailymail.com
iVchan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/17/21/4E59F66800000578-0-image-a-8_1531859104946.jpg

Click For Video: https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/07/17/3971282565486522708/1024x576_MP4_3971282565486522708.mp4

Barack Obama has revealed he is shocked at how wealthy he has become after the presidency in a speech calling for higher taxes on the rich.

Speaking in South Africa on Tuesday, the former president said he'd happily sacrifice a little of his wealth to help the needy, joking that there are 'only so many nice trips you can take.'

Money - Audience - Event - Nelson - Mandela

'Right now I'm actually surprised by how much money I got,' he told an audience of 10,000 at the event to at to honor Nelson Mandela, in Johannesburg. 'And let me tell you something — I don't have half as much as most of these folks, or a tenth, or a hundredth,' he said, before saying that it was enough, The Hill reports.

'There's only so much you can eat,' he said, smiling. 'There's only so big a house you can have.

Trips - Reference - Fact - Barack - Michelle

'There's only so many nice trips you can take,' he added, perhaps a reference to the fact that Barack and Michelle spent months on back-to-back vacations kite-surfing in the British Virgin Islands, yachting with celebs around French Polynesia and relaxing in Tuscany, Italy after leaving office last year.

While her husband is in South Africa, Michelle spent Sunday dancing the night away in Paris, the front row of a Beyonce concert, with the singer's mother Tina Knowles Lawson, right beside her and reportedly her daughter Sasha in the crowd.

Obamas - Fortune - Wealth - Book - Deals

The Obamas have an estimated combined fortune of around $40 million - much of the wealth coming from book deals and speaking appearances.

Barack said he would happily share some of that wealth to support families struggling at the other end of the spectrum.

Mean - Vow - Poverty - Folks

'I mean, it's enough. You don't have to take a vow of poverty just to say, 'Let me help out a few of the other folks,' he said, to applause.

'Let...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: