Widow of Capital Gazette journalist shares agony of learning of her husband's death

Mail Online | 7/14/2018 | Marlene Lenthang For Dailymail.com
tictac399 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/14/03/4E38D0C300000578-0-image-a-43_1531535349929.jpg

For Andrea Chamblee June 28 was a normal work day like any other, until her phone started ringing off the hook.

Chamblee, a Food and Drug attorney, said she was bombarded with messages about her husband, a reporter at the Capital Gazette, and a shooting breaking out in Annapolis.

News - Banner - Annapolis - Capital - Husband

Frantically she put on the news and saw the banner 'Shooting at Annapolis Capital' and dialed her husband 56-year-old John McNamara's cell phone.

'I call his office phone. I call his cellphone. There is no answer. I know there are times he forgets his phone. I recall each of those times to myself,' Chamblee wrote in a feature in The Washington Post.

Chamblee - Television - Hawk - Eye - Screen

Chamblee recounted watching the television with a hawk's eye, searching the screen for John's bright blue shirt.

When she heard about a tweet that said someone was dead, her stomach dropped.

Call - New - York - Daily - News

Later she received a call from the New York Daily news asking for a statement.

'About what? What do you know?' she asked, followed by an awkward silence. A similar call from Good Morning America followed soon after.

Family - Information - Hotline - Number - Family

Soon after the shooting a family information hotline number was created and a family waiting area was set up at a nearby Lord and Taylor store.

'A friend already in Annapolis goes there and tells me there is no information, no water and no bathrooms in the pen-like area where families are corralled. I prepare to go to my mom’s home in Columbia, Maryland instead,' Chamblee recounted.

Chamblee - Call - Wall - Street - Journal

Chamblee later received a call from the Wall Street Journal saying her husband may have been one of the injured. But when she called local hospitals, he was no where to be found.

As she waited in increasing agony and despair, one call from a random number brought the heart-shattering news.

Hours

'After seven hours of waiting, I answer...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!