'The world needs more cowboys' University of Wyoming under fire for new 'racist' and 'sexist' slogan

Mail Online | 7/12/2018 | Kayla Brantley For Dailymail.com
Les7799 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/12/21/4E2C08A400000578-0-image-a-19_1531425858632.jpg

A new slogan for the University of Wyoming has not been well-received by some staff and faculty who say the new motto excludes women and people of color.

The controversial slogan, 'The world needs more cowboys', is part of the university's new $500,000 campaign which they say is based on inclusiveness.

Slogan - Criticism - School - History - Cowboys

Now, the those criticizing the slogan are receiving criticism from those defending the school and the history of cowboys.

While faculty and Native American groups say that the slogan includes only white men, others have come down hard on them saying there is nothing wrong with the phrase.

Ellen - Currano - Professor - Geology - Geophysics

Ellen Currano, professor of geology and geophysics at University of Wyoming, said she received an email in April with the slogan and asking her to appear in a promotional video for the marketing campaign.

'Honestly, I thought it was a joke at first,' Currano told the Chronicle of Higher Education.

Joke - University - Web - Page - Fact

'I thought it was a joke. And then I looked it up on the university web page and saw that no, this was, in fact, serious,' she said.

Other faculty, including Christi Boggs, who works as the school's ski coach and is also co-chair of the Committee on Women and People of Color, said the group's members were 'very upset' by the slogan.

Boggs - Letter - University - President - Administrators

Boggs wrote a letter to the university president, asking administrators to 'embrace a slogan that takes us into the 21st century.'

In response to the criticism, university spokesman Chad Baldwin told Reuters: 'In a vacuum, the term ''cowboy'' appears gender and perhaps race specific but in the context of the branding campaign it is connected to images and words that show our cowboys are diverse, of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!