NATO's lavish new headquarters is a danger sign

www.americanthinker.com | 7/12/2018 | Staff
Micaella (Posted by) Level 3

It is virtually an iron law that mature bureaucracies turn their focus from the ostensible mission to self-preservation and aggrandizement of the bureaucrats.

One side benefit of President Trump's attendance at the NATO Summit has been the opportunity to view the huge and lavish new headquarters building the organization proudly opened a couple of months ago. John Roberts of Fox News tweeted out his reaction to the vast atrium-like lobby that the new building sports:

Part - NATO - Series - Photographs - Edifice

For its part, NATO has proudly published a series of photographs of the vast edifice, noting that it facilitates what all government bureaucracies do: consult with each other and hold meetings and produce endless papers and memos to be read by other bureaucrats, and then discussed in meetings:

It offers a venue for representatives and experts from all member countries to consult on a continuous basis, a key part of the Alliance’s consensual decision-making process, and to work with partner countries. ...

Headquarters - Meetings - Year

The Headquarters hosts roughly 6,000 meetings every year.

The building is vast:

Lifetime - Organizations - Impulse - Headquarters - Buildings

A professional lifetime spent studying large-scale organizations has taught me to be cynical about the impulse to build impressive headquarters buildings. When I began doing fieldwork for my doctoral dissertation, interviewing a couple of hundred Japanese executives and managers, one of the bits of Japanese business folk wisdom I heard more than once was that a lavish new headquarters was a danger sign for a corporation, a sign that taking care of itself had become the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.americanthinker.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!