Climate change AR exhibit in Times Square gets too hot for Hololens

CNET | 7/12/2018 | Scott Stein
tiffcourt011 (Posted by) Level 3

It's 95 degrees Fahrenheit -- 35 Celsius -- or at least it feels like it. I'm standing in the middle of Times Square, looking at my phone at an augmented-reality fleet of boats floating above my head. My phone is hot. I can't hear through the earphones well. A crowd of family tourists nearly collides with me as I try to stand near the marker painted on the ground. Nearby, the Statue of Liberty dances on stilts: A real person, I mean, in a costume.

2:04

Microsoft - Hololens - Head - Boats - Haze

Next, I'm wearing a Microsoft Hololens on my head, seeing the floating boats semi-visible in a haze of bright sunlight and my own sweat. I try to crane my neck at the holographic effect, as representatives from Microsoft try to keep me in the shade. There's a reason why: my demo suddenly ends midway, going dark. The Hololens has overheated.

Times Square in the summer is an awful place to experiment with augmented reality.

Sculpture - Wake - AR - Experience

The massive animatronic sculpture, Wake, is worth checking out even without the AR experience.

Still, the reason for all of this is good-hearted: Mel Chin, an acclaimed Houston artist who's had a year-long series of works at the Queens Museum and throughout New York City called All Over The Place, is debuting two immersive works in the middle of Manhattan's most crowded tourist spot, near the TKTS booth.

Wake - Installation - Wake - Ship - Hull-meets-whale-skeleton

"Unmoored" and "Wake" are a two-part installation: Wake is an animatronic ship hull-meets-whale-skeleton, a sort of physical wreck erected in a pedestrian plaza. Unmoored is an AR app designed to layer over the sculpture that is Wake, and create a six-minute audiovisual immersion to shake visitors out of their everyday lives and become more aware of how climate change could change places like Manhattan in the future.

A little hard to see the AR in the bright...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!