Trump on May’s Brexit Plans: ‘I Don’t Know If That’s What They Voted For’

Breitbart | 7/9/2018 | Staff
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2018/07/trump-may.png

President Donald J Trump appeared to criticise Prime Minister Theresa May’s ultra-soft ‘Brexit’ plan ahead of his UK visit, suggesting it is not what the British people voted for.

“I’ve been reading a lot about Brexit over the last couple of days, and it seems to be turning a little bit differently, where they’re getting at least partially involved back with the European Union,” he observed.

Theresa - May - European - Union - Country

Theresa May, who campaigned to Remain in the European Union during the country’s 2016 referendum, recently revealed the offer she intends to put to the bloc, which includes an agreement to accept a “common rulebook” written by Brussels and adjudicated by the EU court, as well as commitments to collect customs duties on the EU’s behalf, adopt equivalent regulations on state aid, social policy, etc., and more.

The move has plunged the Prime Minister’s minority administration into what President Trump has himself described as “turmoil”, with Secretary of State for Brexit David Davis and Foreign and Commonwealth Secretary Boris Johnson both resigning in protest at the deal, which in their view will not restore British sovereignty in a meaningful way.

NATO - Summit - Press - Conference - Thursday

At the NATO summit press conference on Thursday morning, he noted that the May government is in “a pretty hot spot with many resignations” once again.

“It’s not for me to say [what I think of the deal],” the President suggested diplomatically but added: “I would say, that, you know, Brexit is Brexit.

“When...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: