Small-Screen Stream: ‘Sharp Objects’ and Other Complex Women on TV

/Film | 7/10/2018 | Lindsey Romain
Nighty (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/big-little-lies-sharper-objects-alias-grace.jpg

The premiere of Sharp Objects inspired me to do something a little different with this week’s streaming column. Watching Amy Adams in HBO’s incredible new miniseries made me yearn for other complex, layered, broken female characters, ones who don’t fit into the neat little boxes where women in media so often reside. Ones who drink when they shouldn’t or speak out when it feels uncalled for or let their makeup smear, their hair tousle. Silly little things, maybe, but things we so rarely see in a sea of perfectly manicured cable characters.

So I set out to compile a list of streaming shows filled with a-typical TV women. They’re not all complex in the same way – and some are still pretty manicured – but instead offer some variety. These are women who don’t behave the way society might want them to, and that’s exactly why they’re so endlessly watchable.

Shows - Forces - Behind-the-scenes - Creators - Directors

I also wanted to emphasize shows with largely female creative forces behind-the-scenes (as much as I could). Because female creators, directors, and writers lend their shows a unique quality, one of truth and experience. We need more of them, but these are the women who have already started paving the way.

Amy Adams is doing the Lord’s work in this adaptation of Gillian Flynn’s dark and demented bestseller, about a journalist named Camille who returns to her small hometown to cover the murder of two young girls. Once there, she reconnects with her strange mother, Adora (Patricia Clarkson) and wild-child half-sister, Amma (Eliza Scanlen), and secrets from her past start to unfurl. The first episode premiered Sunday, so that’s all there is to catch up on, but mark this one down to follow for the rest of summer. The story is full of some truly riveting twists, and Adams and Clarkson are giving...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When will they ever learn?