Millennials and Megachurches

ChurchLeaders | 6/24/2018 | Staff
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/6.25.HOME_.CC.MillenialsMegaChurches.jpg

Millennials and megachurches—we often hear these terms used derisively. Or at least dismissively.

Megachurches have more resources. And if they’re that big, it’s surely because they’re full of compromise.

Approach

But what if instead of dismissing either of these, we took another approach?

Consider millennials: There is much to appreciate about their unique paradigm and perspective.

Leaders - Staff - Deeply - Christ-centered - Ministry

The millennial leaders I talk to (including those on our staff) deeply desire Christ-centered, authentic ministry. They want substance over show. They value teamwork. And while they appreciate past heritage, they want to see greater things in the future. Specifically, they want to reach their generation with the gospel.

Millennials are no longer tomorrow’s leaders. They are today’s leaders.

Today - Leaders - Tomorrow - Leaders

Not only, however, are they today’s leaders, but tomorrow they will be the oldest leaders.

What if instead of treating them dismissively we appreciated and invested in them?

Subscribe - ChurchLeaders

Subscribe to ChurchLeaders!

I began pastoring when I was 24 years old, and I have been pastoring what is considered a megachurch since I was 34. That 10-year period (from when I began until our church surpassed 2,000 in weekly attendance) I was the age of today’s millennial.

Leaders - Let - Wait - Posture - Gratitude

Even back then, there were leaders who were dismissive, taking a “let’s wait and see how long he lasts” posture. But I remember with deep gratitude those who were encouraging and made an “I’m here to help you any way that I can” offer. These were men like Tom Malone, Curtis Hutson, Lee Roberson, Don Sisk and R.B. Ouellette—all of whom preached for our church in those early years. I’m thankful they didn’t dismiss me because I was young or because the Lord grew our church.

And that brings me to megachurches. If cities were growing smaller rather than larger, I could see why we might favor the idea of a small country church over a megachurch or why we would...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.