Jesus: A Gluttonous Drunken Disobedient Son?

aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2018/06/Cana-AA.jpg

Some things that I have been reading recently have brought two of my past publications into conversation with one another, in a manner that I never expected. I wrote an article on John 5:18 many years ago, focused on whether Jesus is a rebellious son, in making himself equal to his father. You can read that article online, courtesy of Butler University’s institutional repository. I also wrote a book chapter on the question “What Would Jesus Drink?” which also had “A Glutton and a Drunkard” in the title, for a book with the title Religion and Alcohol: Sobering Thoughts.

Until now, I hadn’t noticed that there was a connection between those two studies, never mind just how direct and potentially interesting the connection between them was.

Accusation - Jesus - Glutton - Drunkard - Matthew

The accusation that Jesus was “a glutton and drunkard” is mentioned in Matthew 11:19 and Luke 7:34. This is not just a generic criticism, but a specific one that relates to the Torah: In Deuteronomy 21:20-23, this language is part of an accusation brought by parents that leads to a death sentence. And interestingly enough, the law immediately following has to do with those who are not merely executed but hung on a pole (as in crucifixion) and the...
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.