Florida is swarmed with 'hundreds of thousands' of IGUANAS that are causing power outages and contaminating swimming pools

Mail Online | 6/23/2018 | Stephanie Haney For Dailymail.com
SweetStuff33 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/23/21/4D90660F00000578-0-image-a-21_1529784264722.jpg

The iguana population in South Florida has gotten so out of control that it's preventing people from working and even enjoying themselves at home, leading some to take the drastic measure of calling in catchers and exterminators.

The natural behaviors of these four-legged creatures trying to co-exist with humans have led to issues with internet and phone service, power outages and all sorts of damage done to landscapes, levees, seawalls, roofs, and patios, and even contaminating swimming pools.

Year - Business - Years - Thomas - Portuallo

'This year is the most iguanas I’ve seen and I’ve been in business for nine years,' Thomas Portuallo, the owner of Fort Lauderdale-based company called Iguana Control, told the Sun-Sentinel.

Portuallo said 'many hundreds of thousands' of the reptiles have taken over Broward, Miami-Dade and Palm Beach counties.

Hundreds - Thousands - Estimate - Experts - Iguanas

While 'many hundreds of thousands' is a vague estimate, experts say its impossible to tell exactly how many iguanas who have invaded the Sunshine State, but its certainly a high number.

'There’s no real way to come up with a valid estimate of the number of green iguanas in Florida. But the number would be gigantic,' says Richard Engeman, a biologist for the National Wildlife Research Center said.

'You - Number - Zeros - Number

'You could put any number of zeros behind a number, and I would believe it.'

And at such high numbers, the impact is being felt intensely by South Florida residents. In case you're wondering in what kind of ways an iguana can mess up your day, Grace DeVita of Hollywood has a few examples for you.

Month - Days - Grind - Iguana - Cables

Within the past few month, she got two unexpected days off from the regular grind when an iguana chewed through cables and caused the internet and phone services to go out at her place of employment.

'There was an iguana with a piece of wire hanging out of his mouth,' DeVita said. After the damage was repaired,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!