ABC’s Take Two Premiere: What’s Old is New Again

TVOvermind | 6/22/2018 | Joy D'Angelo
Click For Photo: https://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Take-Two-1x1-Eddie-and-Sam-.jpg

Viewing ABC’s Take Two premiere made me smile. It looks like the network may have another hit on their hands. How can I say that? Because most people thought that Castle, the first show created by Take Two creators Andrew Marlowe and Terri Edda Miller was doomed to fail. The premiere of Castle has 52 percent score on Metacritic. It ran for eight seasons.

Wildly famous mystery novelist Richard Castle (Nathan Fillion) is bored with his own success,” says ABC publicity for the new crime series “Castle.” Bored with his success? Poor bay-beee. As it happens, he won’t be the only one. Viewers who stumble into this misbegotten “Moonlighting” imitation will likely be bored, too, but not because of too much success.

Author - Reviewers - Time - Attempt - Copy

The author, like many other reviewers at the time, bemoaned what was seen as an attempt to copy shows like Moonlighting or Remington Steele. This particular article also wishes it was more like Mad Men.

Maybe the show is trying to be fashionably “retro” while seeming merely old hat, the little trick that “Mad Men” gets away with on cable.

First - Mad - Men - Show - Women

First of all, Mad Men was a show that was really about the women. By definition, the protagonist is the one that fundamentally changes by the end. Only the women really change in Mad Men. It was never simply going for fashionably “retro.” The reason this is important? Mad Men was subversive, smart drama. It was not going for light entertainment.

How Come So Many Critics Love the Classics, yet Hate Modern Versions?

Answer - Question - Observation - Critics - TV

I don’t have an answer for the above question. It’s just an observation of the major critics takes on TV shows. Somehow, because we have things like Game of Thrones and The Handmaid’s Tale, boilerplate shows are seen as unworthy of existing, nevermind being enjoyed.

Take jazz. Once upon a time, it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVOvermind
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: