Reaching the Neighborhood Where God has Placed You

Orange Leaders | 6/20/2018 | Nathan Castleberry
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://orangeblogs.org/orangeleaders/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2018/05/iStock-901570232-cropped.jpg

What would it look like if more churches started reflecting the culture of their neighborhood and stopped reflecting the culture of the churches they admire on social media? Let’s be real, there are definitely churches and pastors out there who set trends in church world. That’s not a bad thing. If God is doing things to accelerate another church’s vision and blessing them with growth, you should be a student of that ministry or pastor. However, God’s calling on your life and church is much bigger than “copy and paste.” The church you have a “ministry crush” on right now isn’t reaching your neighborhood because they’re too busy trying to reach theirs. While it is good to learn transferable leadership principles, don’t forget that Jesus has assigned you to be a “fisher of men.” So what does it look like to stop fishing with someone else’s tackle box? “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” Matthew 4:19 ESV

Growing in a neighborhood with a fully stocked lake, my family loved fishing. My dad showed us how to operate various kinds of rods and what kind of baits to use for the diversity of fish we had swimming around our lake. We had catfish near the bottom that loved hot dogs. We had bluegill near the top that loved earthworms. We had largemouth bass that loved minnows and rubber worms dangling near the bottom. When we were young and learning, we used the lures that looked the most fun. In our tackle box were shiny and feathery lures, rubber minnows, and even a few flies for fly fishing. As we became serious about fishing, we started realizing we couldn’t just use the bait we wanted. We would only catch fish if we knew what they craved, how they...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Orange Leaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.
Tagged: