Good social media experiences DON'T outweigh the bad

Mail Online | 6/20/2018 | Alexandra Thompson Health Reporter For Mailonline
Tanya9 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/20/08/4D6FD7AC00000578-0-image-a-10_1529479862301.jpg

Good social media experiences do not outweigh the bad, new research suggests.

For every 10 percent increase in negative social media experiences, people's risk of depression rises by 20 percent, a US study found.

Mood - Interactions - 'like - ' - Picture

This low mood is not reversed by positive interactions, such as the 'like' of a picture or a nice comment, the research adds.

Researchers believe social media makes people feel down and inadequate due to others posting the highlight reels of their lives.

Dr - Michael - Schoenbaum - National - Institute

Dr Michael Schoenbaum, from the National Institute of Mental Health, who was not involved in the study, said: 'One error in social media is to imagine if you turn it off your social life is over. As a parent, I definitely think turning it off needs to be an option'.

How the research was carried out

Researchers - University - Pittsburgh - Students - Years

The researchers, from the University of Pittsburgh, analysed 1,179 students aged between 18 and 30 years old.

The students were asked to estimate what percentage of their social media interactions are positive.

Questionnaires - Participants - Depression - Symptoms

Questionnaires assessed the participants' depression symptoms.

The students were also asked how often in the past week they felt hopeless, worthless, helpless or depressed.

Things - Count

'Negative things count...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I love to post, but I never read the article!
Tagged: