God Rules the Heart of Every Man

Desiring God | 6/18/2018 | John Piper
hi09 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/god-holds-every-heart-in-his-hands-3ymupk0d-en/landscape/god-holds-every-heart-in-his-hands-3ymupk0d-19f2ea3d292e00f738900bee0a4b757c.JPG?ts=1528740223&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

Subscribe to the John Piper Sermons Podcast, available in iTunes, YouTube, RSS, and more.

When I read a story in the Old Testament, I want to read it on its own terms and let the flow of the story tell me the author’s main point. I don’t want to force my ideas from somewhere else in the Bible onto the story — no matter how true those ideas are.

Bible - God - Word - Men - Twenty-first-century

And since I believe that the whole Bible is God’s word, and profitable for men in twenty-first-century London, I want to see both how the New Testament reaches back and connects with the story, and how it reaches forward and connects with your lives.

It is a thrilling thing to me when the main point that I see in a God-inspired Old Testament story is picked up in the New Testament and becomes radically relevant for men in twenty-first-century Britain. That is a thrilling thing. And that’s what I hope you will see:

Difference - Today

What difference it will make for you today.

Let’s first walk through the story together. I’ll make some comments as we go, and we will see if we can tell what the main point is.

Bit - Years - King - David - Israel

A little bit of setting. It’s been about one hundred years since King David ruled a united Israel. The kingdom is now divided between Israel in the North and Judah in the South. Ahab is king. He has forsaken Yahweh, the true God, and worships the idol Baal. His wife is the infamous Jezebel. God’s leading prophet at the time is Elijah. There has been famine in the land for three years, and, as far as Ahab is concerned, Elijah is to blame.

Elijah had said in 1 Kings 17:1, “As the Lord, the God of Israel, lives, before whom I stand, there shall be neither dew nor rain these...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
How's that peak oil working out for you?
Tagged: