ABOUT SHELOVES

SheLoves Magazine | 6/17/2018 | sheloves
TimHyuga (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://shelovesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/amy-chumbley-ripples-from-the-wrinkled-2.jpg

“Mooooom, do we have to go?”

Once a week the kids and I went to an assisted living home near our house and visited the elderly people who lived there. Often times we played Bingo and then sat and talked. I wanted my kids to be comfortable around people of all ages, to see the value in the people our society often forgets, and to teach service above self.

Days - Excuses

To be honest, there were days when it wasn’t convenient. Their excuses were often numerous:

“Mom, I have a lot of homework.”

Mom

“Mom, I’m tired.”

“Mom, I’m hungry.”

Days - Pleas - Excuses - Excuses - Adult

There were days when I wanted to give in to their pleas and excuses. I was tired and mentally listed my own excuses to skip out, but I chose to be an adult (which is not always easy).

“We don’t have to go. We get to go.”

Response - Aloud - Car - Father - Thank

Maybe this response was as much for me as it was for them. I began praying aloud in the car, “Father, thank you for this opportunity to put others before ourselves. Thank you that we get to go and love on people.”

Nothing like using prayer to lay on the mom guilt. The kids grew silent. Maybe they actually heard me and saw this as an opportunity to love, but most likely they were just eye rolling in the backseat.

Kids - Anything - Moments - Mature - Stories

I don’t know if the kids learned anything from those moments with the mature, but I did. I learned that not one of their stories included how they had paid off their houses early or how much money they had in their bank accounts. Not one mentioned how successful they had been in their careers or how well-kept their yards had been.

I was reminded that the memories created with family and friends were the most meaningful. They told stories of family vacations,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SheLoves Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.
Tagged: