Reflections on E3 2018

TechCrunch | 6/14/2018 | Brian Heater
Coraav (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/e3_2016-6120004.jpg?w=633

Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/e3_2016-6120004.jpg

After taking a year off, I returned to E3 this week. It’s always a fun show, in spite of the fact that the show floor has come to rival Comic-Con in terms of the mass of people the show’s organizers are able to cram into the aisles of the convention center floor.

We’ve been filing stories all week, but here is a very much incomplete collection of my thoughts on this year’s show.

Years - Zombies - LA - Convention - Center

I’d have thought we’d have hit peak zombie years ago, but here we are, zombies everywhere. That includes the LA Convention Center lobby, which was swarming with actors decked out as the undead. There’s something fundamentally disturbing about watching gamers get pictures taken with fake, bloody corpses. Or maybe it’s just the perfect allegory for our time.

A slight adjustment in approach certainly played a role, as the company has embraced mobile gaming. But the key to Nintendo’s return was a refocus on what it does best: offering an innovative experience with familiar IP. Oh, and the GameCube controller Smash Bros. compatibility was a brilliant bit of fan service, even by Nintendo’s standards.

Quantity - Versus - Quality

Quantity versus quality?

Microsoft’s event was a sort of video game blitzkrieg. The company showed off 50 titles, a list that included 15 exclusives. Sony, on the other hand, stuck to a handful, but presented them in much greater depth. Ultimately, I have to say I preferred the latter. Real game play footage feels like an extremely finite resource at these events.

Trend - Gaming - Something - Someone - Someone

Certainly not a new trend in gaming, but there’s something about watching someone bite off someone else’s face on the big screen that’s extra upsetting. Sony’s press conference was a strange sort of poetry, with some of the week’s most stunning imagery knee-deep in blood and gore.

We saw more footage and somehow we understand the game less?

Indiecade

Indiecade is...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: