Forget That Spendy Family Vacation And Take Your Kids On A Road Trip

The Federalist | 6/14/2018 | Nicole Russell
bethtetleybethtetley (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/35631986914_61e5a196ba_k.jpg

It’s popular to take your kids on glamourous, extravagant vacations: Five days in Disney or a week in Atlantis to the tune of $10,000 or more for a family of four is a goal for many. Unfortunately, that can be expensive, hot, and simply impossible for a lot of families due to the time or cost. About one-third of Americans plan on taking a family vacation in the summer and, of that, nearly 80 percent will make it a road trip.

With low gas prices now, it’s easy to see why. In the spirit of versatility, cost-benefit analysis, and adventure, I see you an all-inclusive vacation to Sandals and I raise you a road trip to to see family or friends.

Lot - People - Drive - Adage - Journey

A lot of people like to take a drive; I’m not one of them. Since I can remember, I have scoffed at the adage “It’s not the journey, it’s the destination,” because destination is where it’s at, baby. Anyone who has hauled down I-95 to South Carolina knows the smooth sands and clear ocean water beat traffic any day.

I’m not really a road trip kind of person (and wasn’t even before I had kids) and I’m not going to say that it’s any more or less fun than the beach, Disney, or Acapulco. But road trips do have their special charms, which may or may not include finding goldfish crackers in crevices of your car you didn’t know existed.

Starters - Road - Trips - Time - Money

For starters, road trips are comparatively economical, although they do take time (which is worth money, as we know). Before you embark on a road trip, you need to figure out where you’re going and why, and whether a car ride there is worth the time it will take, versus how much it would cost to get there faster.

Recently, my four kids and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
Wake Up To Breaking News!