Man who couldn't burp for 34 years can belch again, thanks to Botox injections in his throat

Mail Online | 6/14/2018 | Sam Blanchard For Mailonline
rubydrummer (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/14/08/4D3667DE00000578-0-image-a-18_1528960370215.jpg

A record label talent-spotter who has not burped since he was a baby – because of a condition so rare it has no name – has been cured by Botox injections in his throat.

Left in agony after meals when the affliction stopped him releasing gas from his stomach, 34-year-old Neil Ribbens says his life has been changed by a 40 minute procedure.

£3 - Surgery - February - BMI - Alexandra

He says the £3,000 surgery he had in February at BMI The Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, Greater Manchester is 'the best thing that could have happened to me'.

'I'm more confident, I'm healthier and I just feel all round so much happier,' Mr Ribbens says.

Surgeon - Condition - Mr - Ribbens - Stomach

Described by his surgeon as 'extremely rare', the condition caused Mr Ribbens stomach pain, bloating and severe hiccups, and stopped him from eating large meals or going to the pub.

It was caused by his larynx – his voicebox – being so tensed it would prevent gas from escaping through his throat.

Botox - Muscles - Wrinkles - Tension - Mr

Botox, which relaxes muscles and is more commonly used to smooth wrinkles, has relieved this tension and means Mr Ribbens, from Shadwell in East London, can burp again.

Mr Ribbens stopped being able to burp after developing the strange condition in his childhood. He saw various doctors over the years but they could not help him.

No-one - Medication - Suffering - Medics

No-one could recommend effective medication to relieve his daily suffering and he felt some medics failed to take him seriously.

After years of frustration he took matters into his own hands and found a private surgeon online who offers patients Botox for the condition.

'One - Doctor

He said: 'One doctor I spoke to laughed, which wasn't great.

'After that, subsequent GPs would just prescribe me various over-the-counter drugs. There was no one who had heard of my condition.'

Discomfort - Meal - Drinking - Alcohol - Drinks

His greatest discomfort happened after eating a large meal or drinking alcohol and fizzy drinks, when he would develop...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!