Grenfell Tower housing boss turned fashion guru will hold a book launch party on the anniversary of the disaster today while survivors, neighbours and politicians attend memorials

Mail Online | 6/14/2018 | Steve Doughty for the Daily Mail
Alenaaa (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/14/01/4D32C27C00000578-0-image-a-9_1528937848559.jpg

A housing chief is to mark today's first anniversary of the Grenfell fire – in which eight of her tenants died – by launching a second career as a fashion guru.

After survivors, neighbours and politicians take part in events to commemorate the disaster, Kate Davies, head of the Notting Hill Genesis social housing organisation, will host a party to promote her book, entitled Making Life More Beautiful.

Ms - Davies - Headlines - Years - Event

Ms Davies made headlines three years ago when she said a shocking event was necessary to end prejudice against those living in state-subsidised homes.

She told a conference that 'either we need an appalling fire where some beautiful young children die, or a riot'.

Grenfell - Fire - June - People - Flats

The Grenfell fire last June killed 72 people, including eight in three flats used by the Notting Hill group to house previously homeless families.

Ms Davies, whose pay package from her publicly financed organisation is worth more than £250,000 a year, now aims to turn her skill as a dressmaker into another source of income.

Book - Event - Evening - Headquarters - Housing

Her book will be launched at an event this evening at the headquarters of the housing trust. Followers of her fashion blog have been told they can enjoy a drink in the garden of the HQ building.

Copies of the book will be available for £14.99, 'with a personal dedication if you would like one'.

Blog - Book - Close - Party

She said in the blog that the book 'is close to done and then I can look forward to the party!'

She added: 'It's the first anniversary of Grenfell and a number of my friends will be involved in special events in the area.'

'It - Day - Along

But she said: 'It is a big day for me and I am very grateful so many have decided to come along.'

Kathy Gyngell, co-editor of the Conservative Woman website, said: 'It is a pity Ms Davies is not spending her time...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!