‘The First’: Sean Penn’s Mission to Mars on Hulu Debuts Gorgeous First Footage and Plot Details

IndieWire | 6/10/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/shutterstock_8791509ag.jpg?w=780

Beau Willimon is following up “House of Cards” with a series of the opposite intent.

“In a lot of ways, it’s a 180-degree departure from ‘House of Cards’ for me,” Willimon told ATX TV Festival attendees during a first look at his upcoming Hulu drama, “The First.” He said the Netflix series he developed asked, ‘When the worst of humanity assumes power, what does that look like?’ Well, we know. It’s happening before our very eyes and not just on television.”

Story - Lot - Facets - Life - Willimon

“[It’s] a story I hope reflects a lot of the facets [of life] we’re all going through, whatever we’re trying to accomplish, whatever we’re striving for,” Willimon said, adding that he dares to hope it could inspire viewers. “There’s no guns in this. There’s no murder. […] I think we’re in a time now, seeing those sort of stories that inspire us to be the best version of ourselves, is necessary.”

Focusing on the first manned mission to Mars, Willimon said the events in “The First” could happen much sooner than some think.

Thing - Funding - Future - Future

“The only thing preventing us from doing it is popular will and funding,” he said. “When we’re talking about the future, we’re talking about the very near future.”

Set in the 2030s, the eight-episode first season is mainly set on Earth as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!