Dick Wolf: Mariska Hargitay, ‘Law & Order: SVU’ Pioneered #MeToo ‘A Long Time Ago’

Variety | 6/5/2018 | Ellis Clopton
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/dick-wolf-mariska-hargitay.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

With “SVU” reaching its 20th season on air, “Law & Order: Special Victims Unit” creator Dick Wolf and star Mariska Hargitay stated that the show not only has its own place within the #MeToo movement, but that it helped start it.

“We’ve been talking about sexual assault, domestic abuse and child abuse for 20 years, and I am so deeply incredibly proud of that,” Hargitay said at the Paley Center for Media on Monday. “This show has been a true maverick, a true pioneer. That’s why I keep saying that we’re in this beautiful cultural change. It’s like all the stars have lined up, and we’ve been telling these stories for years.”

Panel - Evening - Show - Creator - Dick

In a panel later in the evening with show creator Dick Wolf, he said Hargitay and “SVU” have both helped to make the dialogue accessible to audiences and help survivors share their stories.

“I think it’s opened the door to a multitude of conversations over the years,” Wolf said. “If you look at the #MeToo movement, it’s like she founded [it] a long time ago. If you go back to the first season, it’s still incredibly on point to what’s happening in this country.”

Hargitay - Goals - SVU - Audiences - Stories

Hargitay said one of her goals while working on “SVU” was to be able to get audiences to metabolize the stories told on the show and hopefully impact change in the real world.

'Wonder Woman' Star Connie Nielsen Joins Dick Wolf's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!