'Heat dome' set to pummel the Southwest bringing temperatures of 120F as high-pressure ridge sweeps across the US 

Mail Online | 6/15/2016 | Chris Kitching For Dailymail.com
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/06/15/16/35501AAA00000578-0-image-a-15_1466004219601.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/1418450360/2015/05/1418450360_4262852755001_4262839848001.mp4

Residents of the Southwest, including Los Angeles and Phoenix, are being warned to take precautions in advance of a 'heat dome' that is expected to bring dangerously hot weather that the region hasn't seen in a decade.

Temperatures are expected to soar into the triple digits in many areas this weekend and early next week with fears that the heat wave could cause fatalities or wildfires.

There could be record-setting heat in the Phoenix area, where a high of 120F is expected Sunday and Monday, and in parts of Southern California, where the temperature could reach 112F in the Valleys and 100F in downtown Los Angeles.

The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat watch warning that severe conditions are expected from Saturday morning through to Tuesday night, peaking on Monday.

It said the elderly, children, people with pre-existing health conditions and pets will be particularly at risk of heat-related illness.

The extreme temperatures will be caused by a high-pressure ridge in the jetstream, which can deliver some of the hottest weather possible to the Desert Southwest when it forms in middle to late June, wrote AccuWeather meteorologist Ken Clark.

He said the heat will increase Friday and Saturday over Arizona and Sunday and Monday over southern Nevada and Southern California.

On Monday, a temperature of 131F is possible in California's Death Valley, which holds the record...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep