‘Killing Eve’: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Explains the Show’s Delicious Obsession With Sausages

IndieWire | 5/28/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/killingeve_sausages_villanelle.png?w=780

“Killing Eve” is a show about many things: flexible morality, redefining identities, unacknowledged desires, obsession… and sausages. In the series’ first season, the meat product is either mentioned or makes an appearance in four of the eight episodes. That’s half of the season that devotes some time to ground meat in casings.

What exactly is the importance of sausages in a show where MI5 officer Eve Polastri (Sandra Oh) is trying to capture a flamboyant assassin known only as Villanelle (Jodie Comer)? IndieWire spoke with series showrunner and writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge to see if there was a link, so to speak, between sausages and some bigger meaning in the series.

Answer - Question - Sausage - Waller-Bridge - Laugh

“If you don’t know the answer to that question, then you are a sausage yourself,” Waller-Bridge said with a laugh. “No, the honest answer about that is that with things like that, I’m not always completely aware until people tell me. I didn’t realize how many sausages [there were].”

Here we pause in Waller-Bridge’s ruminations on sausages to review and examine all the ways that they have been used on the show to see just how prevalent the protein product has been:

Inkling - Viewers - Part - Sausages - Series

The first inkling that viewers have of the part sausages will play in the series occurs in Episode 4 during a rendezvous between Eve and her MI5 boss Carolyn (Fiona Shaw) at a butcher’s shop. Eve has had what she believes is a lead in identifying the mole who had compromised her now-deceased partner, and is in a rush to tell Carolyn, who advises her, “Take a minute. Look at the sausages.”

The calming tactic apparently works as Eve is faced with a butcher’s glass case full of the meat in question, some made with chiles.

Preponderance - Meat - Eve - Thoughts - Findings

Distracted by the preponderance of meat, Eve is able to gather her thoughts before laying out her findings...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!