‘Solo’: Breaking Down That Surprising ‘Star Wars’ Cameo

Collider | 5/25/2018 | Dave Trumbore
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/han-solo-movie-images-emilia-clarke.jpg

Exogorth-sized spoilers ahead if you haven’t seen Solo: A Star Wars Story yet!

We’re talking, of course, about Darth Maul. Infamously appearing in Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace where he cut down Qui-Gon Jinn before being cut in half by a young Obi-Wan Kenobi, Darth Maul could have simply been a cool one-off villain. Originally brought to life (briefly) by martial artist/actor Ray Park and voiced by Peter Serafinowicz in George Lucas‘ much maligned 1999 prequel, the Sith was revived by Sam Witwer who voiced the character in both Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars Rebels. In Solo: A Star Wars Story, and in a very cool reveal for fans, both Park and Witwer played the part, as Park did the live-action performance and Witwer provided his signature voice.

Solo - Interview - Screenwriters - Jonathan - Lawrence

In a solo interview with screenwriters Jonathan and Lawrence Kasdan, our own Steve Weintraub got the inside track on just how Darth Maul wound up becoming part of Solo: A Star Wars Story. Here’s what Jonathan had to say about it:

How did Darth Maul end up in this movie? Was it something Ron Howard added when he came on?

Kasdan - Something - Movie - Time - Years

Kasdan: It’s something that I had been subtly trying to build into the movie for a very long time, for years in fact. I was trying to do it in such a way that it would be apparent to people and they would go there but it was never explicitly stated so that everyone who read the script would think it was their idea to put Darth Maul in the movie, and it was effective. I made it work with Pablo [Hidalgo], I made it work with Ron. They were all built-in, the references to Teräs Käsi and all of that stuff were all designed to lead to that moment.

If...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!