Publix grocery in Charleston censored 'Summa **** Laude' on graduation cake

Post and Courier | 5/22/2018 | Staff
shardonay (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/postandcourier.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/4/b8/4b8136aa-5dba-11e8-b1e5-cb7c22cb36f2/580139b131d77.image.jpg?resize=600%2C358

Ok. I didn’t want to post but I cannot resist. I ordered Jacob’s graduation cake from Publix. A $70 cake!! He earned a...

Posted by Cara Koscinski on Sunday, May 20, 2018

Saturday was Jacob Kosinski's big day. His whole family, many from out of town, saw the Charleston, South Carolina, student graduate from his Christian-based homeschool program with a 4.79 grade point average and the coveted honor of summa **** laude.

His mother, Cara Koscinski organized a graduation party for her 18-year-old son. For the occasion, she ordered a cake online from her nearest grocery store, Publix, which lets customers build their own cakes complete with a customized inscription, which they enter into a little message box.

Message - Cake - Congrats - Jacob - Summa

Carefully, she typed in the message she wanted on the cake: "Congrats Jacob! Summa **** Laude class of 2018."

The Publix software was unhappy with the word - ****. In Latin, **** is the preposition "with," as in summa **** laude "with the highest distinction." To the little box on the Publix website, however, the word meant something else and its sophisticated algorithm, alert for naughty words, returned a little message that said "profane/special characters not allowed." It substituted three hyphens for "****."

Post - Experience - Result

The Post replicated her experience and got the same result.

But there was still hope. The Publix form included a section for "special instructions" for the bakery, in which Koscinski explained that Summa **** Laude was a Latin term for high academic honor and was not profane. She included a link to a website explaining the meaning of Summa **** Laude and said she didn't think much about it afterward.

Koscinski - Things - Celebration - Husband - Sister

Koscinski said she was so busy preparing things for the celebration, that she sent her husband and sister to the store...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Post and Courier
Wake Up To Breaking News!