Unemployed Bronx man wants to keep $5M lottery win a secret

New York Post | 5/16/2018 | Staff
jesse456 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/lottery-winner-wants-to-protect-identity.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1200

He’s the luckiest man in the city’s poorest borough and he wants to stay that way.

An unemployed Bronx man — who doesn’t even have a bank account — became an instant millionaire last month when he scratched off a winning $5 million lottery ticket.

Stuff - Dreams - Panic - Prize - Windfall

But the stuff of dreams quickly turned to sudden panic when he went to claim his prize — only to learn that he can’t collect the windfall without taking part in a press conference that will let everyone in the neighborhood know he’s loaded.

Now the Norwood man plans on protecting his assets — and himself — by demanding that the state Gaming Commission, which runs the New York Lottery, keep his identity a secret from the predators he worries will steal or scam his new-found fortune. And if the commission doesn’t, he plans to sue.

Everybody - People - Father - Post

“Where I grew up, everybody knows me. All these people would know and I’m afraid they might come for me,” the father of one told The Post.

“Everybody who knows me knows I’m too nice. And I don’t want to be taken advantage of.”

Little - Caesars - Worker - Ticket - Mosholu

The former Little Caesars pizza worker bought the golden ticket at a Mosholu Parkway liquor store on April 24 while shopping for an outfit for his upcoming birthday.

The winning $5 million lottery ticket.

Pants - Bathroom - Back - Pocket - Numbers

But he forgot about it until he pulled his pants down while in the bathroom and saw it sticking out of his back pocket. He scratched all the numbers while sitting on the toilet and saw that he’d won — then methodically revealed the prize amount.

“I scratched from front to back. Five — it had a comma, so I’m like, it’s probably $5,000. Then it had another comma. My mind blew,” said the slightly built 24-year-old.

Ticket - House

“I put the ticket down, and I just started jumping all over the house....
(Excerpt) Read more at: New York Post
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: