Sitora Yusufiy, Omar Mateen’s Wife: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Heavy.com | 6/12/2016 | Paul Farrell
LordLord (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2016/06/thumb9.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

I effing knew this was going to happen!! It was only a matter of time!! @sitoratajik @frankmerc229

A photo posted by formerly int'l spark (@the_only_cepeda) on

Sitora Yusufiy pictured on her Facebook page.

The man who committed the worst mass shooting in American history was married for two years to a woman from Uzbekistan. Online records show that Omar Mateen wed Sitora Alisherzoda Yusufiy in Florida in 2009. The couple divorced in 2011, reports WPTV’s Joshua Chavers. The announcement for the wedding says the pair lived in Port St. Lucie, Florida.

On June 12, Mateen was responsible for the shooting deaths of 50 people and the wounding of 53 at the gay nightclub Pulse in Orlando. He called 911 to pledge allegiance to ISIS before the attack.

Here’s what you need to know about his ex-wife:

In an interview with Heavy.com, Yusufiy said that she lived in Florida with Mateen between April 2009 and August 2009. She said that her parents then “rescued” her from the relationship and she never saw Mateen again. The divorce process took two years because of the long distance.

During the aftermath of the shooting, Yusufiy posted a note of condolence to her Facebook page, saying:

May they transition in peace may their souls be healed, may the wounded victims recover and heal in peace, may the families and loved ones heal and find their peace….

Archangel Michael Please protect us from suffering and the suffered…. Please protect us from hate, violence, anger and instability…. Amen.

In a separate interview with the Washington Post, Yusufiy said that the couple met online and she moved to Florida in 2009 to be with him. The couple lived in a condo owned by Mateen’s parents. She told the Post:

He was not a stable person. He beat me. He would just come home and start beating me up because the laundry wasn’t finished or something like that…He seemed like a normal human being. He was a very private person.”

She added that her parents...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Heavy.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Warum denn nicht?