Westworld's Jimmi Simpson worries we are dangerously close to a dystopia

CNET | 5/1/2018 | Caitlin Petrakovitz
townskey13 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/VHKv36NtgG4t2xlgZXSkIJ-mIw0=/670x503/2018/05/01/5e71fde7-6acb-4e6b-a16a-5d370fe45d40/westworld-stylea3.jpg

Simpson (right) plays real-life LAPD veteran Russell Poole.

Even if you don't recognize the name, you know Jimmi Simpson. Trust me.

Top - Head - Always - Sunny - Philadelphia

Off the top of my head, I've seen him recently in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Psych, Black Mirror -- oh yeah, and Westworld.

As well as starring in season two of HBO's sci-fi hit, Simpson also stars in USA Network's Unsolved: The Murders of Tupac and The Notorious B.I.G., a 10-part limited series, the finale of which airs Tuesday night. In the reality-based show, Simpson stars as Russell Poole, an LAPD detective. His task in this fictionalized retelling is to solve the seemingly unsolvable crime of the rap world and root out corruption in the police department.

Story - Simpson - Loss - Men - Lives

"I think that it's really a pertinent story to discuss," says Simpson. "The loss of two young men's lives -- these kind of beautiful, large, anything can happen lives are ahead of them. They just disappeared and nobody seemed to care enough."

Both men were prominent artists, gunned down during the '90s -- Tupac in Las Vegas, The Notorious B.I.G. in LA. They were in their mid-20s and there was no satisfying answer to the question of who killed them.

Tools - System - Place - Simpson - Tension

"We didn't seem to have the tools and a system in place to facilitate whatever was going on," says Simpson. "We were coming out of intense racial tension. In this country, and specifically in Los Angeles when this happened.

"[Their murders] fell through the cracks as far as the system is concerned. And right now, we're dealing with, I think, kind of a larger feeling of tension regarding race... And the tension is higher than it's ever been, since the '60s, at least."

Clip - Episode - Unsolved - Pac - Biggie

This clip is from the final episode, titled Unsolved?, leading you to think maybe they *do* know who kill Pac and Biggie after all these...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!