Orlando Jones Interview: The ‘American Gods’ Star on Getting ‘Screwed Over’ and Speaking Out (EXCLUSIVE)

Variety | 12/14/2019 | Michael Schneider
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/shutterstock_editorial_8966224ah.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Orlando Jones had held his tongue for months about being let go from “American Gods,” and how his departure was handled by producer Fremantle and the Starz network. But, in an interview with Variety, Jones said he finally decided to stand up for himself and set the record straight on why he won’t be seen in Season 3 — and how he feels he was disrespected by not getting the full truth for months — time that he could have spent working on other projects.

“I assumed at some point somebody would say that I wasn’t going to be in season three,” he said. “And I imagined that someone would reach out or, there would be some sort of press release out to respond to that in some meaningful way.”

Jones - Record - Straight - Clip - Mr

But there wasn’t, and so Jones said he decided to set the record straight after a clip of him as Mr. Nancy (aka Anansi, the Trickster God) from Season 2 of “American Gods” began to go viral. In the monologue, from episode 4, Jones’ character declares that “slavery is a cult,” among other things.

“I was getting hundreds of messages from fans on each one of those [social media] platforms,” he said. “‘We can’t wait for Season 3,’ ‘We love Mr. Nancy,’ ‘I use this in my class,’ ‘this really touched my soul,’ I mean, beautiful stuff. And to be honest with you, I cried. I just sat and cried because I knew that I wasn’t going to be there.”

Saturday - Jones - Video - Twitter - Firing

On Saturday, Jones posted a video on Twitter explaining what he described as his “firing,” and blaming new showrunner Charles “Chic” Eglee for the move, without mentioning Eglee by name.

With the end of the year approaching, Jones said he had given up on Fremantle announcing that Mr. Nancy wasn’t going to return — and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Hell sometimes looks an awful lot like an office cubicle.