Help! My Folks Drive Me Crazy

The Gospel Coalition | 12/9/2019 | Jennifer Greenberg
jenny1246jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/27134416/lightstock_370552_full_tgc1.jpg

She couldn’t handle her mother-in-law. The eccentric woman hoarded craft supplies, collected duplicates of every household knick-knack in case the original broke, and maintained an extensive catalog of coupons organized by date and category. When the family came to visit, everyone pitched in to make paths between boxes of bric-a-brac and clear the rooms of surplus, just to make things safe for the grandkids.

He couldn’t stand his dad. The retired Vietnam veteran was ornery and set in his ways. Obsessed with politics, chewing tobacco, and classic cars, he marred every get-together with rants about the latest government conspiracy, political scandal, or trending propaganda. The family had respectfully asked him not to discuss the news over dinner. They’d also asked him not to leave coke cans full of tobacco spit on the porch. But Dad was Dad. And he would not change.

Children - Parents - Superheroes - People - Kids

As children, we often view our parents as superheroes. They’re the nicest, smartest, best people ever, because we’re their kids, and we love them. But we all mature, and we come to view our parents differently once we’re adults. We notice their faults, and their previously endearing quirks now grate on our last nerve. This shift in understanding—the humanization of our parents—can be extremely painful.

My transition to an adult understanding of my parents is probably more extreme than most. As a child, I remember thinking my dad was a brilliant scientist and God-fearing theologian. It wasn’t until I grew up and could see my dad with adult eyes that I realized he was a violent sexual predator.

Life - People - Evil - Veteran - Soldier

I’ve forgiven him, although I’ll likely never let him back into my life. I’ve forgiven many people who either enabled, ignored, or failed to prevent his evil. So, as a veteran soldier on this battlefield, let me presume to offer some practical advice.

Maybe your...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: