My Top 10 Theology Stories of 2019

The Gospel Coalition | 12/9/2019 | Collin Hansen
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/09001126/IMG_8836.jpg

When did you first realize that lying can be effective?

I suppose I always knew from our first ancestor that sometimes the easiest way off the hook is a little white lie. Who can know? And Adam lied to God! It’s much easier to lie to Mom and Dad—you know, given their lack of omniscience and omnipresence.

Things - Internet—like - Media - It—fools - Sense

But things have changed. The internet—like no other media before it—fools us into a false sense of omniscience. We know everything from reading blogs, listening to podcasts, and scrolling through Twitter. It fools us into a false sense of omnipresence. The world conforms to the little screen in the palm of my hand. Where can anyone go to escape my gaze? Where can I not peer, with or without permission?

Maybe the lies we tell about other Christians don’t prick our conscience because we’ve repeated them enough times that we now believe them. Plus, they work! Powerful leaders bow to our demands. Readers flock to our website for the latest report. Petitions circulate. Statements gather signatures. If the innocent suffer, well, what do they say about revolutions and omelets? You can’t make one without breaking a few eggs.

Internet - Crisis - Christians - Truth - Fact

The internet has surfaced an epistemic crisis for Christians who profess to stand for truth. As lying becomes more effective, it becomes more popular. And as it becomes more popular, it becomes more difficult to separate fact from fiction, especially for international readers not familiar with American dynamics.

This year’s list of top theology stories shows how difficult it can be to separate rumors and lies from facts. There’s almost always more than meets the eye. Rarely does a theology story lend itself to clear-cut interpretation. The debate is often what makes the story noteworthy, what makes it rank on this year-end list.

List - Attempt—written

So consider my list an admittedly foolhardy attempt—written...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.
Tagged: