Letting Kids Be the Tradition-Makers

Orange Leaders | 12/6/2019 | Ronne Rock
liizuliizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://orangeblogs.org/orangeleaders/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2016/11/Letting-Kids-Be-the-Tradition-Makers-Orange-Leaders-Audio-Blog-.jpg

He was only four years old, but my son was very concerned as we carefully placed the nativity under the Christmas tree. “If this is Jesus’ birthday, why doesn’t He get a cake?” I looked at him, my mind racing to come up with some great theological statement about God in flesh not really caring that much for buttercream and sprinkles.

But in that moment, the Lord reminded me that Ian’s real question wasn’t about the cake at all—it was about inviting Jesus into the full experience of Christmas.

Year - Funfetti - Cake - Him - Decades

So that year, a Funfetti cake was made for Him. Now, more than two decades later, Ian’s kids are helping with the Happy Birthday Jesus cake. The cake has been different shapes and sizes, but three things remain: it always has to be Funfetti (because Jesus brings us joy), there always has to be a LOT of candles (because Jesus is the light of the world), and we always have to sing (because He loves our voices).

Reggie Joiner reminds us of four great benefits of celebrating family traditions:

Kids - Sense - Security

They give kids a sense of security.

They build bonds between family members.

Part - Story

They remind us that we are part of a bigger story.

They are a great way to communicate the value of family.

Son - Grandchildren - Birthday - Jesus - Cake

Watching my son and grandchildren bake and decorate the “Happy Birthday, Jesus” cake, I see all four of those benefits come to life. As parents, we have great opportunity to connect with our children by sharing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Orange Leaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!