Mindy Kaling and Constance Wu on ‘Hustlers,’ ‘Late Night’ and the Importance of Female Directors

Variety | 11/17/2019 | Daniel D'Addario
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/11/mindy-kaling-constance-wu-variety-actors-on-actors-16x9.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

Mindy Kaling (“Late Night”) and Constance Wu (“Hustlers”) sat down for a chat for “Variety Studio: Actors on Actors.” For more, click here.

Mindy Kaling hit big screens this year with “Late Night,” a film that played off her winsome ambition. As an aspirant writer lending a new attitude to an aging show, Kaling reinforced the image of the classic-comedy junkie forged on “The Mindy Project.” Fellow TV star Constance Wu made a similar leap in 2019, following “Crazy Rich Asians” with another sensation, “Hustlers.” As Destiny, an ingénue among a band of strippers, Wu transformed herself — but retained the shrewd timing that’s her signature.

Mindy - Kaling - Hustlers - Weekend

Mindy Kaling: I saw “Hustlers” twice opening weekend.

Constance Wu: Two more times than I did.

Movies

Kaling: This is insane that you don’t see the movies that you’re in.

Wu: I know what happens.

Point - Movie

Kaling: That’s a good point. I’ve seen it enough for you and me. The movie just crossed $100 million. What does that mean to you?

Wu: My agent emailed me, and everybody on the chain was like, “It’s so great.” I was like, “Cool. What does this mean?” I don’t really think about numbers. I’m learning about this stuff. “Hustlers” is only the second studio movie I’ve done. The first was “Crazy Rich Asians.”

Batting - Average - Women - Color - Story

Kaling: You have a good batting average. I felt affected that it was so successful. It’s almost all women of color, and the story is so unusual. It’s not about rich people. It’s about people struggling to get by. Congratulations.

Wu: Thank you.

Movies - Directors - Difference

Kaling: Both our movies had female directors. That made a huge difference.

Wu: Lorene [Scafaria] wrote it and had a clear vision of what she wanted to do. She doesn’t come from a place of “Let’s humanize this woman.” She already does that. She already understands that.

Nothing

Kaling: Nothing...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!