What Makes a Sermon Good?

Desiring God | 10/23/2019 | John Piper
jesse456 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/what-makes-a-sermon-good-ikrkpl84-en/landscape/what-makes-a-sermon-good-ikrkpl84-148ac3e724ee36372532e4adc2e2e27c.jpg?ts=1570568670&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

What’s the purpose of a sermon? What is the preacher trying to accomplish? While ministering in Belfast, I heard Pastor John answer this question by saying, “The preacher’s job is for people to know God and to find him more satisfying than food, sex, money, sports, or media. They’re idolaters if they don’t.” Wow — powerful language about the urgency of the preacher’s task. He’s not a stand-up comedian trying to get laughs. He’s not a stage performer trying to out-entertain the overstimulated attention span of Netflix addicts. He’s seeking after eternal things to grab hold of the hearts of his people in order for them to find more joy in the Giver than in the gifts of the Giver. That’s the task of the preacher. Here’s the full clip from Ireland. Keith Getty is leading a conversation with Pastor John about his recent book on preaching.

Keith Getty: Each person at the conference is getting this book Expository Exultation. You know, I made the joke yesterday that when I was reading Desiring God, I was on the ferry. Now every time I see the book, I still smell that seawater and boat. It’s really weird. But as I said, it was a unique eye-opener for me because it was both this rich biblical doctrine, and there was so much of the emotions, the affections, the passion, and the outworking of it. I’ve always come alive with Charles Wesley’s lyrics because I think they explode theology in a way that opens all the affections. Talk to us about Expository Exultation and preaching and worship.

John - Piper - Goal - Life - Worship

John Piper: The goal of life, worship, and preaching is a people alive to God — knowing God truly, loving him duly. The fact that those rhyme says something. I work at sentences like that. I sit for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: