How can I study the Bible?

www.christianpost.com | 10/21/2019 | Staff
leeann77 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/35/233507.jpeg

How can I study the Bible?

Facebook Twitter Email Menu Comment

Proverbs - Child - Way

Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it.”

Is this a guarantee?

Time - Child - Decision - Fault - Parents

If so, can we assume that any time a child makes a sinful decision the fault is the parents’?

How old is “old”?

Genre

Or is it possible that this parable represents a biblical genre that communicates metaphorically rather than literally?

There are certain principles and practices that guide all effective Bible study. These tools are intended for every person who wants to meet God in his word.

Study - Passage - Questions - Text - Question

When you begin the study of a specific passage, ask background questions. Then read the text in question, preferably in several translations. Note what seems to be the major idea of the passage and its relation to the author’s intended purpose for the book.

Now, ask basic questions of the text:

Who is speaking, writing, and/or acting?

What is the subject of the text?

Where is it happening?

Why and/or how?

Information - Mind - Passage - Lab

With this information in mind, we are ready to proceed. We’ll use this passage as our lab throughout:

I will suggest in this study the “fourfold” approach to all Bible study:

Grammatical - Words - Mean

Grammatical: What do the words mean?

Historical: What are the circumstances behind the text?

Truth - Text - Intend

Theological: What spiritual and theological truth does the text intend to communicate?

Practical: What applications does the text intend to make in my life?

Questions

We’ll start with grammatical questions.

The Bible is intended for all believers, as we are each our own priest before God. And so we come to the text in the belief that it intends to be understood. No advanced seminary degrees needed. The words will reveal their meaning to those willing to study them.

Words - Author

Begin with the words themselves. We want to know what the author intended them to say, not just what they seem to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: