Packer Fandom as a School for Souls (A Defense of Some Sorts of Fandom Contra a Critic)

Eidos | 10/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/169/2018/08/5C95A36A-1203-4522-BC68-5B1B01354E44-300x158.jpeg

Being a Packer Fan Has Been Very, Very Good for Me. Maybe.

Pro-sports fandom has been, for me, a school where my intellect learned to guide my passions. Packer fandom has been a school for my soul, a way of making lifelong friends, and good merriment.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Being a fan may be fine, but being a fanatic is not, ever. Nothing so ruins a good thing than a zealot: Jesus turns zealots into students. Ask Simon, once zealot, then disciple of Jesus.

Packers - Entertainment - Politics - Strife - God

I have, so far as I know, never been a fanatic for the Packers, just given harmless entertainment that was (generally) blessed free from politics and strife. God bless the Green Bay Packers.

But Wait!

Maybe or maybe not.

One really bright guy suggested that my fandom is not only bad, but very bad. The dialectic is a hard master and so, much as I might wish, this is not an argument that can be ignored. After all, if he is right, then I will simply have more time to cultivate other loves.

Steve - Baughman - Lawyer - Student - Critic

Steve Baughman, lawyer, student and just critic of bad apologetics, took on pro-sports fandom on one of my social media accounts. He made an interesting case, so I invited him to write up his ideas for Eidos for the sheer joy of his verve. After all, the NFL (and that friend of tyrants the NBA) can take the criticism!

If you do not have interesting interlocutors, social media helps you find some! Lawyer and critic of Christendom, Steve Baughman takes on my team, the Green Bay Packers, and any support for pro-sports. He argues persuasively, but fails, I think, philosophically because his case is too strong, and fails practically because I am a counter-example too many of his claims. Both of us are not basing our case on the philosophy of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!