Francis Ford Coppola: Marvel films are “despicable”

Screen | 10/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://d1nslcd7m2225b.cloudfront.net/Pictures/2000x2000fit/1/1/6/1312116_francis_ford_coppola_2011_cc_429540_crop.jpg

Francis Ford Coppola called Marvel Cinematic Universe films “despicable” at the Lumiere Film Festival in Lyon, where he received the Prix Lumiere.

The Godfather director spoke out in support of Martin Scorsese’s comments that Marvel films are not “true cinema.” He was flanked by Cannes chief Thierry Frémaux and acclaimed director Bertrand Tavernier.

Marvel - Films - Theme - Park - Rides

Scorsese argued that Marvel films are like “theme park rides” when delivering the Bafta David Lean Lecture. In response to a question posed by Screen, Coppola acknowledged the technical craft behind these films, but backed up Scorsese’s comments.

“If you asked him if there is cinematic talent, cinematic expression or great work in Marvel films, he would say ‘Yes’,” argued Coppola. “But to his point that Marvel Films are more like theme park rides than what we call cinema, then yes, I agree with him. Marvel are eating up all the oxygen [of cinema].”

Coppola - Marty - Scorsese - Marvel - Films

Coppola expanded: “When Marty Scorsese says Marvel films is not cinema, he’s right because we expect to learn something from the cinema. We expect to get some enlightenment, some inspiration. I don’t know if anyone gets anything from seeing the same movie over and over again.”

He then called on the risk-averse American studios to take more chances. “Making a film without risk is like making a baby without sex. Part of it is the risk, and that is why we learn so much from films. If they make movies without risk, it’s just economics.”

Cinema - Something - Money - People - Martin

“Real cinema brings something to society,” he added. “It doesn’t just take the money and make people rich. That’s despicable! So, Martin was kind when he said it’s not cinema. He didn’t say it is despicable which I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Screen
Wake Up To Breaking News!