Serious Bible Study Is for Teens, Too

The Gospel Coalition | 9/16/2019 | Katherine Forster
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/26092608/lightstock_227139_full_tgc-copy.jpg

Let me tell you a story.

Once there was a girl. She was beautiful and kind, quiet but strong. She suffered and endured rejection, but she overcame through her own inner power and courage. Those who rejected her were forced to acknowledge her worth, and she was universally admired.

Name

Her name was me.

Self-centered? Yes. Cliché? Absolutely. It might be the worst story I’ve ever written. But if I’m honest, that’s the kind of story I want to tell myself. I want to be the protagonist of my own story. I want this life—no, the entire universe—to be all about me. It shows in the way I think, the way I act, the way I treat my family and friends, the way I spend my money, and the way I invest my time.

Story - Teenager - Messages - Quotes - Instagram

I’m not just telling myself this story, though. Especially as a teenager, I’m surrounded by messages that feed my natural inclinations—inspirational quotes on Instagram, text posts on Pinterest, even some of the songs on my Spotify playlists. Today’s culture commands teenagers to believe in ourselves. It demands we take the reins of our own lives and assert control over our destinies. It tells us:

You are enough.

Anybody

You don’t need anybody else.

Life is about doing and having what makes you happy (and this thing will make you happy! Special sale, today only!).

Things - Treat - People - Life - Meaning

If you do good things and treat people well, your life will have purpose and meaning.

You are the most important person in your life.

Views - Life - Lens - Part - Story

I’m convinced every one of us views life through the lens of a narrative. We all see ourselves as part of a story.

But the stories we tend to tell ourselves are all wrong.

Eden - Wooed - Eve - Narrative—one - Center

It started back in Eden. The serpent wooed Eve with a false narrative—one that put her at the center of the universe (“You will be like God!”)...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country
Tagged: