‘Everything Is Christ’—and Other Muddled Messages from Richard Rohr

The Gospel Coalition | 9/16/2019 | Michael McClymond
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/14105143/BOOK_YOAST.jpg

In 2014 I went to a Michael Gungor concert at a small club in St. Louis. Standing in line for the club, I happened to be next to some of his Christian relatives, and in that conversation I sensed some discomfort on the topic of Michael’s faith.

Friends told me that Gungor was then describing himself as an “apophaticist”—meaning that God can’t be named, labeled, or described. From that point, he’s moved farther, and presently answers to the Hindu appellation of Vishnu Dass (“servant of Vishnu”). Gungor’s wife, Lisa, commented in a 2018 interview, “I’m so grateful for the tragedy of losing faith because I think it was a necessary path. It was a path we had to be on.”

Michael - Gungor - Phase - Adviser—Father - Richard

As Michael Gungor entered his ex-Christian phase, he found a spiritual adviser—Father Richard Rohr. In March 2019, Gungor spent more than two hours interviewing Rohr on his latest book, The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope for, and Believe.

Who is Rohr, and what does he teach in his new book?

Rohr - Franciscan - Friar - Catholic - Priest

The 76-year-old Rohr has been a Franciscan friar and a Catholic priest for 50 years, and he founded the Center for Action and Contemplation in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Rohr’s The Universal Christ is Amazon’s number-one book in both Christology and Christian ethics, and it was blurbed by U2 singer Bono. Oprah Winfrey interviewed Rohr in 2015 and in 2019. The ex-pastor Rob Bell has been influenced by Rohr and did a 90-minute interview with him.

This is Amazon’s number-one book in both Christology and Christian ethics.

Search - National - Catholic - Reporter - Uncovers

A search of the National Catholic Reporter uncovers dozens of articles by Rohr, about Rohr, or quoting Rohr. It is hard to think of another Catholic spiritual author who has gotten more press in recent years. A recent article documents Rohr’s growing influence...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!