Nintendo Switch changed my life. Apple Arcade may do the same

CNET | 9/12/2019 | Roger Cheng
Traight (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/HJUbvu6nXhwOyHNG4SxbXWhP_zI=/756x567/2019/08/26/02877602-70c9-46a6-9995-a73305b85cda/23-nintendo-switch-lite.jpg

The Nintendo Switch will likely be one of Apple Arcade's biggest competitors. But they both share a philosophy of complete gaming experiences.

This story is part of Apple Event, our full coverage of the latest news from Apple headquarters.

Display - Warriors - Wizards - Field - Enemy

I tap on the display, and tiny digital warriors and wizards storm the field, ready to attack an enemy base. Wizards blast through the walls, while my warriors rush in with swords at the ready. Within minutes, all that's left is rubble.

Sound exciting? It is, perhaps, for the first several dozen times. Or even several hundred times, when you take into account upgrades and the possibility of new units and features. But what about several thousand times? Because with games like the smash hit Clash of Clans, the only thing that's waiting next is more battles. There is no end game.

Gaming - Nutshell - Treadmill - Reason - Upgrade

But that's mobile gaming in a nutshell: A never-ending treadmill that compels you to keep going for no real reason beyond that next upgrade or power-up -- which just pushes you to keep playing further. It's a trend called freemium gaming, and it's designed to suck you in.

The new Apple Arcade, which launches Sept. 19 for $4.99 a month, could be an antidote to that. Here's how I know.

Apple - Games - Arcade - Subscription

Watch this: Apple shows off new games for its Arcade subscription...

Up until this past spring, that was me on the treadmill, faithfully running to nowhere. My wife and I were fans of Clash of Clans. Then I migrated to a similar Transformer strategy game, as well as racing title Asphalt 9: Legends, spending months grinding out points and earning currency for that next Autobot character or sports car. There I was, dutifully tapping on my screen every few hours or jumping in a race so I could earn a daily bonus.

But then I got...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.