WTA Roundup: Keys Downs Kuznetsova To Win Cincinnati Title

www.oann.com | 8/18/2019 | Staff
elio25 (Posted by) Level 3
Madison Keys served 13 aces and won the fifth singles title of her career on Sunday when she posted a 7-5, 7-6 (5) victory over Svetlana Kuznetsova in the final of the Western & Southern Open near Cincinnati.

The 16th-seeded Keys registered 43 winners while overcoming 33 unforced errors to outlast Kuznetsova in one hour, 44 minutes.

Keys - Venus - Williams - Romania - Simona

Keys defeated Venus Williams, Romania’s Simona Halep and Spain’s Garbine Muguruza during her run of six victories on the hardcourt in Mason, Ohio.

“If you told me a week ago that is where I would be, I would have laughed in your face,” Keys said during the post-match trophy ceremony.

Title - Draw - Keys - Press - Conference

“It’s obviously the biggest title I have ever won, and, I mean, it was a tough draw from the very start,” Keys added in her post-match press conference. “I played some really, really great players from Round 1 until today. I definitely think I played some of my best tennis consistently this week.”

Kuznetsova, who won the 2004 U.S. Open and the 2009 French Open, also enjoyed a stellar week. The 34-year-old Russian received a wild-card entry into the tournament and turned back the clock with her top performances of the season to reach her first final of the year.

Kuznetsova - Winners - Errors - No - World

Kuznetsova, who had 13 winners and 13 unforced errors, was ranked No. 153 in the world entering the week. Her upset victims this week included top-seeded Australian Ashleigh Barty, Czech Karolina Pliskova and Sloane Stephens.

Keys acknowledged Kuznetsova’s strong surge and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.oann.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!