Why Secular People Are Superstitious

The Gospel Coalition | 8/14/2019 | Daniel Strange
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/29125717/lightstock_350282_medium_tgc-copy.jpg

Well Stevie, you may sing that, but I want to tell you about a mystery I’ve been trying to unravel that leads me to conclude that, for many, superstition really is the way. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I’ll begin . . .

It all started one drab overcast London afternoon, a few months back. I was in my study preparing to do some teaching based on the theological anthropology of my hero, the Reformed missiologist J. H. Bavinck. Drawing from a life’s observations on the mission field together with a profound theological insight, Bavinck developed what he called the “magnetic points.” This refers to “a sort of framework within which the religious thought of humankind must move . . . . There appear to be certain intersections around which all sorts of ideas crystallize . . . [or] magnetic points to which the religious thinking of mankind is irresistibly attracted.”

Creation - Points - Responses - Suppression - Truth

In short, although grounded in creation, these points are our perennial human idolatrous responses (our suppression of truth and replacement of created things) to God’s manifestation of his “eternal power” and “divine nature” (Rom. 1:20) which, for Bavinck, pertain to our creaturely dependence and accountability to our Creator. The magnetic points provide a morphology to the messy mix in which sinful image bearers who know God and don’t know...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!