Across U.S., anxious families brace for Trump's announced mass immigration raids

NBC News | 7/8/2019 | Staff
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2019_28/2930206/190711-immigration-raid-protest-se-250p_5451a1efea82e8992a612de8071a89cd.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

Antonio N., who recently graduated from a community college in New York City, has become very worried about his parents, who are undocumented. What happens, he is asking, if immigration authorities detain them, or even worse, deport them?

Antonio, who would not disclose his last name in order to protect his parents' identities, is one of more than 16 million people in the United States who live in families with mixed immigration status. These families are grappling with uncertainty and fear in the wake of the Trump administration's plans to conduct mass immigration raids Sunday.

Officials - NBC - News - Families - Cities

Officials told NBC News they are targeting approximately 2,000 families in several cities — Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Denver, Houston, Los Angeles, Miami, New York and San Francisco.

“That is one of the scariest things not only my family has to face but others who are in this ICE raid situation,” Antonio told NBC News.

President - Donald - Trump - Immigration - Customs

President Donald Trump first announced that Immigration and Customs Enforcement would carry out nationwide immigration raids last month. He later wound up postponing such efforts, giving people like Antonio additional time to better prepare for the worst-case scenario.

Antonio and his family have been reaching out to immigrant rights groups seeking guidance and following Spanish-language news outlets to get information to teach his parents about their rights and how they should interact with ICE officers. They've also been working on a family action plan that would be activated if immigration authorities detain his parents.

Family - Antonio - Children - US - Citizens

“We’re currently seeing what I can actually do to help my family,” said Antonio, the oldest of three children, all U.S. citizens. The family is inquiring about making Antonio the legal guardian for his younger siblings if his parents are gone. “I’d rather be the head of household for my entire family and work hard than to have us all separated by the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NBC News
Wake Up To Breaking News!